Honey and Thyme Paloma
Honey, Thyme and Grapefruit Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- the peel of 1/2 ruby red grapefruit
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 oz Honey, Thyme and Grapefruit Simple Syrup
- 4 oz Mezcal (or silver tequila)
- the juice of half a rub red grapefruit
- the juice of one lime
- sparkling water, such as San Pellegrino
- garnish with fresh thyme sprigs, grapefruit slices and reserved grapefruit peel from simple syrup
Make the simple syrup: Peel half of a grapefruit (trying to keep long, intact pieces). Combine sugar, honey, water, thyme and grapefruit peel in a saucepan. Bring to boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely and strain into a jar or airtight container. Reserve grapefruit peel for garnish and discard cooked thyme.
2. Assemble cocktails: Add simple syrup, mezcal or silver tequila, grapefruit juice and lime juice in a cocktail shaker or mason jar. Shake well and divide equally over two 8 oz glasses filled with ice. Top each cocktail with sparkling water, and garnish with reserved grapefruit peel, fresh grapefruit slices, and thyme sprigs. Cheers!