Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf with Creamy Baked Bean Gravy
- 5 strips Center cut bacon, cut in half*
- 1.5 lbs Ground Meatloaf Mix (Beef, Pork, Veal)*
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 stalks of celery and leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 16 oz can baked beans, such as Bush’s Country Style Baked Beans
- Cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9x12 broiler-safe or large cast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Finely chop celery and onions and add to large mixing bowl.
4. Add meatloaf mix, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, yellow mustard, celery, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper to mixing bowl. Mix together with hands until well combined (careful to not overmix).
5. Form meatloaf in greased baking dish or cast iron skillet, leaving about 2” of space around the outer edges of the loaf.
6. Cover top of meatloaf with sliced bacon until fully covered, and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
7. While the meatloaf bakes, add 2 cups of milk to a liquid measuring cup and whisk in 2 tbs all-purpose flour until fully combined.
8. After meatloaf has baked for 30 minutes, remove from oven, and add the whole can of baked beans around the meatloaf. Give the milk/flour mixture another quick stir and add to the pan along with the baked beans. Do not pour beans or milk mixture directly over the loaf/bacon, but just around the sides (otherwise, the bacon won’t be crispy). Once the milk mixture and beans are in the pan, give them a quick stir to combine and return to oven for another 30 minutes, or until the a thermometer inserted midway into the center of the meatloaf reached 165 degrees. During the final 30 minutes of baking time, check the meatloaf every 10 minutes or so and stir the gravy as needed.
9. Once finished baking, remove the meatloaf from the oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. If bacon is not fully crispy, broil for 3-5 minutes.