Great Grandma’s Sloppy Joe
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef*
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp canola oil
Sauté onions and pepper in 1 tbsp canola oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
2. Move onions and peppers to outer edge of pan and increase heat to medium-high. Spread ground beef out in center of pan in an even layer and cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes, or until meat begins to brown.
3. Season beef with salt and pepper, and flip over. Continue to cook, breaking meat apart into small pieces as you go with a wooden spoon or spatula, until meat is cooked through and no longer pink, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add in ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Cook 2-3 minutes until flavors are melded. Serve on burger buns, brioche buns or potato rolls.