Grapefruit Pomegranate Whiskey Sour
Share this recipe!
This quick and easy Grapefruit Pomegranate Whiskey Sour Recipe is a fresh take on a classic whiskey sour! It’s fresh, fruity, and made with all fresh ingredients!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
An easy and refreshing take on a classic Whiskey sour recipe
As far as whiskey sour recipes go, this one is strays off the beaten path. With fresh and tart grapefruit juice standing in for traditional lemon juice, a pomegranate syrup in place of classic simple syrup, and not a maraschino cherry in sight.
This cocktail holds true to the spirit of a whiskey sour, though, in that it’s neat, tart and very whiskey forward. And I’ll cheers to that.
Looking for more cocktail ideas?
How to make a whiskey sour
Not sure how to make a whiskey sour? For this easy whiskey sour recipe, you will need:
- Bourbon whiskey
- Fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Pomegranate simple syrup (see below for recipe)
- 1 egg white
- A fresh ruby red grapefruit, for garnish
- Pomegranate arils
Putting the drinks together
But first, simple syrup
Sure, now you know how to make a whiskey sour, but do you know how make simple syrup?
Making the Pomegranate simple syrup
To make the cocktail, you’ll start by making the simple syrup. The syrup comes together very easily with equal parts sugar and water, and some fresh pomegranate arils.I like to use organic cane sugar for my simple syrups, but you can also use honey, agave, or regular old white sugar.
Making the cocktail
Fill 2 cocktail glasses with ice, and add grapefruit slices.
Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice, Combine bourbon, grapefruit juice, simple syrup and egg white in a cocktail shaker. Cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds.
Strain cocktail into glasses, and garnish with pomegranate arils.
Can I omit the egg white?
if egg whites make you squirm, you can leave them out, and the drink will just be a little less frothy, and a little less fun. The whiskey sour recipe will however, still be delicious- which is the important part.
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign Up Today!
Want to save directions for how to make a whiskey sour for later? Pin this recipe!
Grapefruit Pomegranate Whiskey Sour Recipe
- 4 oz bourbon whiskey
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
- 3 oz pomegranate simple syrup , (see below for recipe)
- 1 egg white
- 2 thin slices ruby red grapefruit, for garnish
- pomegranate arils, for garnish
- Making the syrupAdd sugar, water and pomegranate arils to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely, and strain into a mason jar or airtight container. Making the cocktail Step 1Fill 2 cocktail glasses with ice, and add grapefruit slices. Step 2Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice, Combine bourbon, grapefruit juice, simple syrup and egg white in a cocktail shaker. Cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds.Step 3Strain cocktail into glasses, and garnish with pomegranate arils.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.