Crispy Buffalo Shrimp Salad
Share this recipe!
This fun Cornmeal Crusted Buffalo Shrimp Salad is a lighter way to indulge your buffalo sauced cravings, featuring cornmeal crusted buffalo shrimp over light greens, tomatoes and cucumber.JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
We are a hot sauce household, so it’s only natural that we love all things buffalo-sauced. Lately, the boyfriend and I have been on a buffalo shrimp kick, thanks to a local restaurant we frequent and their delightful buffalo shrimp appetizer. So for lunch one day, I decided to whip us up a buffalo shrimp salad, so, you know, we weren’t just eating a big bowl of shrimp (not that there’s anything wrong with that?).
I used a breading I regularly make shrimp Po’ Boy sandwiches with, and tossed the golden beauties in homemade buffalo sauce (made in the microwave, because I am fancy like that). I tossed some classic salad ingredients we love in a bit of ranch dressing, topped it with the saucy shrimp, some crumbled feta and sliced avocado, and lunch was served, and then eaten- almost faster than it was served.
What you’ll need to make the Crispy Buffalo Shrimp Salad
- Seasoning: Salt, Garlic Powder, Old Bay
- Dredging: A mixture of Cornmeal and A/P Flour
- 10 large or jumbo shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- A beaten egg, and a little splash of milk
- Heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Spinach/Arugula mix
- A shallot, and some garlic
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into half-moon shapes (or however you like them)
- Salty, crumbly Feta cheese
- A creamy, ripe avocado
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Hot sauce, such as Franks Red Hot
- Salted butter
- Canola oil, for frying
If you make my Crispy Buffalo Shrimp Salad, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
For more dinner salads, visit my dinners page.
Crispy Buffalo Shrimp Salad
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 large shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 cups Spinach arugula mix
- 1/2 small shallot, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into half-moon shapes
- 1/4 cup feta cheese*
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp of your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing
- 2 tbsp hot sauce, such as Franks Red Hot
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- canola oil, for frying
- Heat 1/4” canola oil in a large, deep sauté pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat until shimmering (a spec of flour tossed in should immediately disintegrate when oil is ready).
2. Meanwhile, whisk together salt, garlic powder, Old Bay, cornmeal and flour in large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg and milk
3. Dip each peeled shrimp into the dry mixture, then into the egg mixture, then back into the dry mixture. Continue until all shrimp are breaded.
4. Fry shrimp about 2 minutes a side, flipping once, until golden brown and crispy. Remove to a wire cooling rack set over a cookie sheet to drain and cool.
5. While shrimp cools, toss together tomatoes, spinach arugula mix, shallot and cucumber with dressing.
6. To a small microwave safe bowl, add 2 tbs hot sauce, 2 tbs butter and heat in microwave, 45 seconds on high, or until butter is melted. Whisk in crushed garlic and toss fried shrimp to coat.
7. Divide dressed salad to 2 serving bowls, and top with shrimp, feta and sliced avocado. Drizzle with remaining hot sauce mixture, if desired.
Blue cheese could be subbed for feta here, if preferred.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
[…] one of my favorite dishes to prepare is a great salad. Whether it’s an indulgent salad like my Cornmeal Crusted Buffalo Shrimp Salad, a super simple Caprese, or just a classic tossed salad, the possibilities are endless. Salads are […]