Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar
Share this recipe!
The ultimate side dish for your next BBQ, this Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar is loaded with fresh broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese and smoky bacon, all tossed in simple tangy dressing. With only 6 ingredients, this salad is super easy to throw together!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
A delicious un-salad: Broccoli Salad with Bacon
Broccoli and Cheddar… a match made in food heaven. Add crisp bacon and creamy, tangy dressing to the mix, and you’ve got one tasty side salad. I mean, you literally cannot go wrong here.
I have been making this homage to Amish style broccoli salad for over 2 decades, and it NEVER disappoints. With minimal ingredients and a fast and easy dressing, this broccoli salad is always wiped out at any barbecue or party I bring it to.
It’s easy to make, and it can be made a day or so in advance, making it a great candidate for pot lucks and summer BBQs!
Broccoli salad with bacon and cheese: A family favorite
This Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar is one of my most requested recipes among friends and family. My secret? tons of bacon and fresh grated, tart sharp cheddar cheese. If you were looking for a healthy “salad,” close this window now- we’re using the term salad VERY loosely here, as this is more an indulgent treat than a healthy side dish.
Only 6 simple ingredients!
To make this super delicious and super easy broccoli salad recipe, you only need:
- Fresh broccoli florets and ground stalks. I like to chop the stalks into smaller pieces, then grind them up in the food processor. This way, there’s less waste and more broccoli!
- Lots of bacon. For this recipe, you’ll use just shy of a a pound. Chop it into small pieces with kitchen shears prior to cooking for easy salad assembly.
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I prefer to shred this myself for the best flavor and texture.
- Mayonaise. Any brand you like!
- White vinegar. Just plain old classic distilled vinegar.
- Sugar. White or organic cane will both do the trick.
Looking for more great side dishes?
Making the broccoli salad
Once you’ve got all of your ingredients, you just need to chop up all that broccoli (i like to process the stalks and add those as well so they don’t go to waste), cook the bacon, and toss the broccoli, bacon, cheddar and dressing together- and voila, you’re ready to eat!
This is a great make-ahead recipe, and tastes even better as the flavors meld in the fridge. Just pull it from the fridge a half hour or so before serving to take the chill off.
Substitutions and Additions
This broccoli salad is easy to make your own! Below are some fun additions and substitutions to add to the salad.
- Add chopped red onion for a little bite.
- Use apple cider vinegar for a tangy sweetness.
- Add some dried cranberries for a burst of flavor.
- Do a mix of fresh cauliflower and broccoli for a fun way to mix things up.
- Try using some grated smoked gouda or Monterey Jack cheese instead of classic. Sharp cheddar.
Share the love!
If you make my Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback!
Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar
- Food Processor
- 2 lbs
chopped fresh broccoli florets and ground stalks (in food processor)
- 12 oz bacon, chopped
- 3.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 1/4 cup white vinegar, plus 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp sugar, plus 1 tsp
- Chop bacon into 1/4” pieces and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until crisp-around 15 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. 2. While the bacon cooks, separate broccoli florets from stalks. Chop broccoli florets into small, bite size pieces. Cut stalks up into roughly 1” pieces, transfer stalks to a food processor and pulse until all pieces are finely chopped. Transfer all broccoli to a large mixing bowl. 3. Combine all dressing ingredients in a medium mixing bowl or 2 cup liquid measure with a wire whisk until well incorporated. Transfer to the bowl with the broccoli. 4. Add bacon and shredded cheese to the bowl with the broccoli and dressing, and toss all ingredients until all broccoli is well coated. Serve immediately, or transfer to to aright container and refrigerate up to 3 days.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!