Cuban Panini Melt
Share this recipe!
This delicious Cuban Panini Melt is made with Slow Cooker Cuban Roast Pork, butter-crisped ham, and melty Swiss cheese. Pile all that high on your favorite sturdy sandwich bread, grill it to perfection with plenty of butter, and you’re in Cuban sandwich heaven.JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
A quick, easy and delicious Cuban panini
One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE sandwiches is 100% the Cuban! It’s the perfect combo of flavors. For this Cuban Sandwich Melt, I combine slow cooked Cuban style pork, deli ham that’s been crisped in butter, plenty of sliced Swiss cheese, garlic mayo, mustard and pickles for an unforgettable sandwich.
Looking for more great sandwich recipes?
Why not try my Marinated Pork Chop Bánh mì Ciabatta Sandwiches, Slow Cooker Italian Shredded Pork, Spicy Muffuletta Oven Panini, or Great Grandma’s Sloppy Joe!
How to make a good Cuban sandwich
A great sandwich is all about the components. Here’s what you need to make an unforgettable Cuban melt:
Some delicious Cuban style pork
For this recipe, I start with my easy and effortless Slow Cooker Cuban Pork. With a simple wet rub and you’re crockpot, you’re on your way to sandwich glory.
Sure, you could just put some good ham on this sando and call it a day. BUT, you shouldn’t. Take the extra few minutes to crisp the deli ham up in a frying pan with a pat of butter, and thank me later. It adds a delectable depth of flavor to the ham, and it only take a few minutes! Bonus? Use that same frying pan to make your sandwiches!
Use mustard AND mayo (here me out)
I’m not advocating you desecrate a perfectly good Cuban sandwich with a big ‘ol blob of mayo. I am telling you to do good old yellow mustard on one side, and a quick and easy garlic mayo on the other. The flavors are complimentary and delicious, and pair perfectly.
It’s all about the bread
You need to go big or go home in the bread department for this sandwich. We’re talking a crusty sandwich bread, or a nice and sturdy sourdough. This isn’t a classic Cuban, it’s a melt. BUT- this bread need to hold up to all the deliciousness inside.
Cuban Sandwich Melt Ingredients
To make this mouthwatering Cuban melt, you will need:
- Swiss cheese
- Black Forest or Virginia deli ham
- Slow Cooker Cuban Roast Pork
- Dill Pickles
- Yellow mustard
- Garlic and mayonnaise
- softened butter
- sturdy Cuban sandwich bread, such as sourdough. I also like pane toscano bread for these sandwiches.
Building the perfect Cuban Panini
How a sandwich is built is just as important as what’s on it. Here’s how to layer the ultimate Cuban:
- Slather one piece of bread with yellow mustard, and the other with garlic mayo.
- Add a few slices of Swiss cheese to the garlic mayo side.
- Pile on the slow cooked pork.
- Next up, layer on the crisped deli ham.
- Add a layer of thinly sliced dill pickles.
- Add another slice of Swiss to the center on top.
- Top with the mustard side.
- Coat both side of the bread with softened butter.
Cooking the Cuban Panini
Once your sandwiches are built and buttered on your Cuban sandwich bread of choice, it;’s time to cook those bad boys up! Heat a non stick frying pan over medium heat, and place the sandwiches into the hot pan. Grill for 3-4 minutes side, until the bread is nice and golden. Slice the sandwiches, and dive in!
Cuban Panini Melt
- 2 slices sturdy sandwich bread, such as sourdough
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup Slow Cooked Cuban Pork (recipe linked below)
- thinly sliced dill pickles
- yellow mustard
- 2 slices deli ham, such as Virginia or Black Forrest
- garlic mayo
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Prepare the Slow Cooker Cuban Pork Make the garlic mayo: 1. Whisk or stir the garlic and mayo together to combine,Build the sandwiches 1. Slather one piece of bread with yellow mustard, and the other with garlic mayo, to taste. 2. Add 2 slices of Swiss cheese to the garlic mayo side. 3. Pile on the slow cooked pork. 4. Add 1 tbsp of the butter to a large non stick frying pan, and melt over medium heat. 5. Add the deli ham in an even layer and cook, 2-3 mins a side, until it gets some color/crispness. 6. Add the ham on top of the pork. 7. Add a layer of thinly sliced dill pickles. 3 or more- go nuts! 8. Add another slice of Swiss to the center on top. 9. Top with the mustard side. 10. Coat both side of the bread with softened butter.Grill the sandwiches 1. Heat a large non stick frying pan over medium heat, and place the buttered sandwiches into the hot pan. 2. Grill for 3-4 minutes side, until the bread is nice and golden.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
[…] rice, potatoes or veggies, and also works really well in quesadillas. I use this pork to make my Cuban Sandwich Melts, which are a hit every […]
[…] with juicy Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Roast Pork, ham, Swiss cheese and pickles to replicate a classic Cuban Sandwich in a crispy appetizer […]