Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes (Microwave Recipe)
Share this recipe!
These quick and easy Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes come together in about 15 minutes with the help of some simple and flavorful ingredients, and your trusty microwave! The perfect weeknight side dish, these mashed sweet potatoes are a great way to change up boring mashed potatoes.JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Looking for more great side dishes?
The ultimate mashed sweet potatoes
This microwave sweet potato recipe takes mashed sweet potatoes to the next level- with VERY MINIMAL EFFORT. Made in one bowl with simple ingredients and and the microwave, these lazy girl spicy sweet potatoes are the ultimate weeknight side dish hero.
Making the Microwave friendly Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
To make these tasty and spicy sweet potatoes, you will need:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 “ chunks
- Some of the adobe sauce from a 7 oz can of chipotles in adobo sauce. (More on what to do with what’s left below!)
- Sour cream. Full or reduce fat s fine!
- Unsalted Butter. If using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt added to the potatoes to taste.
- Salt, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Fresh chives, for topping. (Optional, but recommended)
To make the potatoes, you’ll start by peeling and cleaning the potatoes, then chopping them into uniform pieces, about 1″-2″ in size. Transfer them to a bowl and cover them with water, than microwave them for about 10-12 minutes, until they are easily pierced with a fork.
Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain them, and add them back to the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, and hand mash until well combined. And that’s IT! Such an easy weeknight side dish you can whip up with effortlessly.
What can I do with the leftover chilis in adobo?
So, you made a batch of these tasty chipotle sweet potatoes with dinner, and now you’re stuck with the rest of the canned chilis and sauce. So what do you do with them? Luckily, there are plenty of options!
Option 1: Store them for later
Canned chilis in adobo sauce keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week, and in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Another option is the chop them up and freeze them in ice cube trays. With the ice cube option, you can add a small amount to dishes like enchiladas and mayo as needed!
Option 2: Make more delicious meals with them!
I LOVE canned chilis in adobo sauce. They are such a versatile ingredient that can be used for a flavor punch in a wide variety of dishes. When I’ve got some leftover lying around, here are a few of my favorite meals to make with them:
Beat the weeknight dinner doldrums with this quick and easy Chipotle Cheddar Chicken Meatloaf! Loaded with grated sharp cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro and jalapeños, this chicken meatloaf is loaded with flavor! Whisk up the super simple Chipotle glaze for a sweet and spicy weeknight treat that goes from oven to table in just about 30 minutes!
Sweet and spicy Instant Pot Honey-Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches with crispy, shredded, melt-in-your-mouth pork in honey chipotle sauce. Serve these up on crispy ciabatta rolls with plenty of quick pickled red onion and chipotle mayo for an unforgettable sandwich sure to have your guests going back for more.
If you love Tacos Al Pastor, you’re going to love this Tamale Pie Al Pastor! A fun cross between the classic pork and pineapple taco, and a savory, cheesy tamale pie- this recipe uses Jiffy cornbread mix, canned diced green chilis and ground pork; making it a great meal to pull together on a weeknight.
What main dishes go well with the mashed sweet potatoes?
These chipotle smashed sweet potatoes are a great twist on mashed potatoes you can pair with pretty much any protein you like! I love to serve these spicy sweet potatoes alongside seared salmon filets, roast pork, and baked chicken.
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe today!
Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes (Microwave Recipe)
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1"-2“ pieces
- 3 tbsp adobe sauce from a 7 oz can chipotles in adobo
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (adjust salt for taste if using salted butter)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- fresh chopped chives (optional)
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-2” cubes, and add to a microwave safe bowl. 2. Cover with water, and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes, until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. 3. Drain the potatoes, and add back to the bowl. 4. Add the butter, sour cream, salt, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Mash with a hand masher or fork until well smashed (for smooth potatoes, use a hand mixer). 5. Top smashed sweet potatoes with chopped chives, if desired and serve hot.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!