Mexican Street Corn Salad
Share this recipe!
This flavorful Mexican Street Corn Salad is a quick and easy play on classic Mexican grilled street corn (or Elote), with cheese, lime and chili powder.JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.Yum
First and foremost: what is Mexican Street Corn, or Elote?
Simply put- Elote is grilled corn sold by Mexican street vendors, typically served with a quick layer of mayo, a generous sprinkling of Cotija cheese, a dash of chili powder and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Even more simply put- it’s delicious.
For my Mexican Street Corn Salad recipe, I’ve taken the grill and the cob out of the equation, but kept all of the flavor. Just quickly brown some thawed frozen corn in a bit of butter, allow to cool slightly, and toss with a bit of mayo, grated parmesan ( a great sub for Cotija), fresh cilantro, lime juice and finely chopped shallot for a super flavorful side dish.
This recipe is great for summer BBQs, or as a side dish to a Mexican inspired meal, like my Crockpot Carnitas Tacos.
Could I use fresh corn instead?
Most definitely. I created this recipe as a way to enjoy the flavors of Elote in the cooler months when it’s too cold (for me) to grill, but you could even char your fresh corn on the grill and use it in the salad and it would be fantastic.
Why parmesan instead of the traditional Cotija cheese?
Parmesan cheese is much more accessible than Cotija in my area, and it still brings an assertive flavor profile to the salad, much like traditional Cotija. If you can get your hands on some quality Cotija in your area, by all means use it in this recipe!
Want to give this recipe a try?
If you make my Mexican Street Corn Salad, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Looking for more easy dinner ideas? Why not try my Thai Shrimp Noodle Salad with Peanut Dressing, Vegan Dumpling Soup with Carrot Noodles and Enoki Mushrooms, Marinated Pork Chop Bánh mì Ciabatta Sandwiches, or Bang Bang Shrimp Salad!
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbs butter
- 4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped jalapeño
- In a large frying pan, heat butter and oil over medium high heat. Add thawed corn in an even layer and cook, undisturbed for 6-7 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Stir and cook another 2 minutes, or until corn is mostly browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. 2. While corn cools, add chopped shallot, cilantro, mayo, lime juice and zest, parmesan, jalapeño and chili powder to a medium mixing bowl. When corn is cooled a bit (a little more than room temp), add to mixing bowl and toss to combine. Serve immediately. This salad is best served at room temperature, but can be made in advance and refrigerated. Just remove from fridge about 30 minutes before serving.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.