This rich and smooth Spiced Bourbon Vanilla Slammer combines bourbon, vanilla, angostura aromatic bitters and a quick and easy fennel seed simple syrup for a deliciously simple cocktail for all seasons.JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.\
A cocktail for all seasons
Winter, spring, summer or fall- this cocktail has everything you need for a great happy hour cocktail with friends! This Bourbon Vanilla Slammer takes classic bourbon whiskey, pure vanilla extract, a few dashes of tart and citrusy angostura aromatic bitters, fresh squeezed lemon juice and a quick and easy fennel simple syrup- and transforms them into a bold, refreshing cocktail that's super easy to whip up on the fly!
Making the Fennel Simple Syrup
To make the fennel simple syrup- all you will need is some fennel seeds, sugar, water, and about 5 minutes (plus cooling time).
Throw everyone in the pool (aka the saucepan) and let them meld together into a richly colored, deeply flavored syrup. Once it’s cooled and strained, it’s ready to use- and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Making the cocktail
This recipe serves 1, however- it's super easy to make these cocktails in batches, or to make several at a time. To make the Spiced Bourbon Vanilla Slammer, you will need:
- A bit of the super easy fennel simple syrup.
- Some of your favorite Bourbon whiskey.
- A bit of pure vanilla extract.
- A few dashes of angostura aromatic bitters.
- The juice of 1 lemon.
- A bit of seltzer or sparkling mineral water, to top the cocktail.
Simply add everything but the seltzer or sparkling mineral water to a shaker or mason jar, shake well and pour over ice. Top with a bit of your bubbly water of choice and garnish with a bit of lemon. Cheers!
Want to give this recipe a try?
If you make my Spiced Bourbon Vanilla Slammer, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Spiced Bourbon Vanilla Slammer
- 2 oz fennel simple syrup
- 1.5 oz bourbon
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- the juice of one lemon
- top with seltzer water or sparkling mineral water
Fennel Simple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cane sugar
- Make the fennel simple syrup. Add the fennel seeds, sugar and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until sugar is fully dissolved. Once sugar is dissolved and syrup is slightly thickened, turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature. 2. Strain into a jar or airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Makes about 1.5 cups, and keeps up to 2 weeks in refrigerator. 3. Make the cocktail. Add fennel syrup, bourbon, vanilla, bitter and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker or mason jar and shake vigorously. Fill a cocktail glass with ice, and pour over. Top with seltzer water or sparkling mineral water. Garnish with lemon wedge, of desired. Cheers!
You can also make my Fennel Grapefruit Vodka Fizz with the fennel simple syrup!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.