These crispy Italian Egg Roll Mozzarella Sticks with Balsamic dipping sauce make a great appetizer or snack, and couldn't be easier to make. To make the egg roll mozzarella sticks, fresh mozzarella is sliced into long strips, then brushed with basil pesto and wrapped in salty prosciutto. The cheese is then wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and briefly fried, then quickly baked for a crispy, yet ooey-gooey treat!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Like the love child of your favorite mozzarella sticks, and a swanky charcuterie board- these egg roll wrapped mozzarella sticks with prosciutto and pesto are equal parts cheesy, crunchy and fancy.
The crispy shell combined with the melty mozzarella and herby, rich Italian flavors make these appetizers quite a treat. Serve them as an impressive app for your friends, or keep them all to yourself.
The recipe is very straightforward, so you can easily scale up for a crowd. And best of all these come together FAST. We're talking like 30 minutes for a small batch. Because, let's be honest- when you want hot, crispy cheese logs, you want them NOW.
Assembling the egg rolls
Fried mozzarella on steroids- these Italian Egg Roll Mozzarella Sticks make are as simple to prepare as they are easy to devour. Simply spread prepared basil pesto onto some fresh mozzarella strips (or string cheese), wrap each piece of cheese in thinly sliced prosciutto, then in an egg roll wrapper and pan fry.
Since these fry rather quickly, once they are golden, transfer them to an oven-safe cooling rack set over a baking sheet, and pop them into the oven for 3-5 minutes to really get the cheese nice and melty.
Once the egg rolls have fried and briefly baked, Let them cool a few minutes before serving. I know it's hard to wait, but that's gonna be some hot cheese! Trust me, they're worth the wait.
While you wait for them to cool, you can whip up the super easy dipping sauce!
Making the balsamic dipping sauce
To make the dipping sauce for the Italian egg rolls, you'll need:
- Balsamic glaze, such as Roland
- A little bit of honey
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
All you need to do is whisk the sauce ingredients together, and you dipping sauce is ready!
Serve these hot/warm, with a side of Balsamic Dipping Sauce. I like to cut the egg rolls on a bias, making 8 smaller servings.
If you make my Italian Egg Roll Mozzarella Sticks, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
For more great appetizer ideas, visit my apps page!
Italian Egg Roll Mozzarella Sticks
- oven-safe cooling rack
- 4 egg roll wrappers, such as Nasoya
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 even long strips*
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 2 tablespoon prepared basil pesto*
- canola oil for frying
Balsamic dipping sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze*
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice a rectangular, 8 oz block of mozzarella into 4 even, thin/long strips. Alternatively, you could use 4 pieces of string cheese. 2. Spread ½ tablespoon of pesto onto 1 side of each strip of mozzarella, and wrap each in prosciutto (the pesto helps it to stay put). 3. After each strip of cheese is wrapped in prosciutto, wrap each in egg roll wrappers. 4. Wrapping the egg rolls. Set up a small cutting board with egg roll wrappers and a small bowl of water. 5. With 1 egg roll wrapper turned on an angle to make a diamond shape facing you, dip a finger into the bowl of water and moisten the outer edges of the egg roll wrapper lightly. Place the wrapped cheese lengthwise in the center, and fold the bottom corner over the filling. Next - fold the right corner in and press to seal, then fold the left corner in and press to seal. 6. Roll forward until top corner is pressed onto egg roll and contents are securely wrapped and sealed. Repeat until all cheese is wrapped. 7. Frying the egg rolls. Add one inch of cooking oil (I used canola) to a medium frying pan, and heat over medium-high heat until juts shimmering, about 2-3 minutes. If making a larger batch, adjust pan size and add more oil as needed. 8. Once the oil is hot, set an oven-safe cooling rack over a baking sheet, and keep close to your workstation. 9. Fry the egg rolls, flipping once, over med-high heat for 1-2 minutes a side, until golden brown. Transfer to the oven-safe cooling rack set over a baking sheet. 10. Once all egg rolls are fried, golden, and on the oven-safe cooling rack, transfer the baking sheet to the oven for 3-5 minutes, just to warm the cheese through. 11. Allow the egg rolls to cool slightly before serving. 12. To make the sauce. Whisk the balsamic glaze, honey, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, garlic powder and olive oil in a small bowl. 13. To serve, slice egg rolls on a bias, and serve warm, with dipping sauce.
I used an 8 oz block of mozzarella cut into 4 long strips, but you could also use string cheese for these!
Any freshly prepared or jarred basil pesto works for these. I love the pesto from Aldi.
You'll want to use a prepared balsamic glaze, rather than balsamic viengar for the sauce, for consistency and flavor.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.