This quick and easy Butter Lettuce Salad with Avocado and Dijon Dressing makes a great side dish or summertime lunch! With simple ingredients and fresh flavors, this salad comes together in under 15 minutes!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
The Best butter lettuce salad recipe!
This gorgeously green salad is a sleeper hit that's on the table in under 15 minutes! Great for serving alongside a meaty main dish, or great as a light lunch on a warm day- this simple yet flavorful salad never disappoints. With a quick and easy pantry-friendly dressing, some great butter lettuce, avocado, and scallions- this salad is as tasty as it is easy to prepare.
Looking for more great salad recipes?
How do you make a Butter lettuce, aka Boston Bibb lettuce salad?
This salad comes together in a flash. You'll start by washing and drying your lettuce well. This can be done with a salad spinner, or by hand.
What is "Butter" lettuce?
Butter lettuce is actually the name of a group of lettuces, such as Boston lettuce or Bibb lettuce. A delicate and slightly sweet lettuce, this green works well with bolder flavors like Asiago cheese and flavorful vinaigrettes. That's why I love it for this salad. It's also a great candidate for topping burgers and sandwiches.
Making the Butter lettuce salad dressing recipe
To make this light and simple butter lettuce salad dressing recipe, you will need:
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Unfiltered and organic Apple Cider vinegar with yield the best flavor, as well as the most nutritional benefit. I like to store mine on the fridge door to extend it's shelf life.
- Extra virgin olive oil. There's a decent amount of olive oil in the dressing, so be sure to use one you like.
- Dijon mustard. I like the "country style" variety. Grey Poupon makes a great one.
- A crushed clove garlic. For a more pronounced garlic flavor, use the fresh stuff instead of the jar.
- A couple tablespoons of honey. The honey balanced the flavor, and adds a touch of sweetness to harmonize with all the acid.
What to serve with the Butter Lettuce Salad
This salad is great as is for a quick and easy lunch, but also stands up well to meaty main dishes. Here are some great options to serve alongside the salad.
Tools for the perfect salad presentation
To make this best butter lettuce salad recipe extra special when serving, here are some great tolls you can use!
A salad spinner. This makes washing and drying your lettuce SO MUCH EASIER. If you don't have the room for one (feel you, I live in a 1 bedroom), washing under cool water and drying on kitchen towels will do the trick.
A pretty platter. A large serving plate or oblong serving platter works great for displaying this salad, and for serving.
Good timing. Wait until just before you're ready to serve before assembly. You want the avocados fresh, and the dressing well combined. You can make the dressing up to a few days ahead, and then give it a good shake or whisk just before dressing the salad. A little shake of fresh ground black pepper and sea salt are great finishing touches, too!
Butter Lettuce Salad with Avocado and Dijon Dressing
- 1-2 heads Bibb lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly or cubed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (whites and greens)
- ¼ cup grated asiago or parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (unfiltered/organic)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1. In a large platter, layer washed butter lettuce leaves. 2. Next, layer on the avocado and sliced scallions. 3. Whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic and honey until well blended. 4. Drizzle dressing over salad, and top with grated cheese. 5. Serve immediately!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.