These simple Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits are easy to make any time you are craving fluffy, cheesy biscuits. No rolling or butter needed. These biscuits are hand rolled and made with cream for a fuss free way to enjoy biscuits in a flash!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.JUMP TO RECIPE
Fast and easy Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits!
When you want warm, fluffy and flakey biscuits, with minimal effort- reach for this Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits recipe! Made with heavy cream rather than cold butter, these biscuits come together in just a few minutes! And forget breaking out the rolling pin- you can form these easily with your hands!
What goes into the Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits?
To make these super easy homemade biscuits, you will need:
- Some all-purpose flour.
- A tablespoon of baking powder. Make sure to use fresh for best results. If it's been sitting in your cabinet for a while, it may be time to trade it in.
- A touch of baking soda and salt.
- Some garlic powder, for extra flavor.
- Grated cheddar cheese and grated smoked gouda cheese. Hand grate the cheese for best results.
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly. these go right into the biscuit dough.
- Heavy cream. This will serve as the fat, like butter in a traditional biscuit recipe.
- 2 tbsp melted butter, for brushing tops of biscuits. Alternatively, you could also use a bit of heavy cream for this step.
Making the Dough and Hand rolling the biscuits
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until well combined. Add the cheese, scallions and cream- gently fold with a wooden spoon or spatula until all ingredients are well incorporated, and a loose dough forms. If the dough seems a bit dry, you can add a bit more cream.
The dough should not be wet, but it should come together easily and form well. If it's too crumbly, it will be hard to form. Alternatively, if you are feeling like the dough is a bit too wet, add a bit more flour.
Divide into 8 even pieces, and roll gently with your hands into biscuits, pressing lightly to flatten them a bit.
Baking the biscuits
Transfer the biscuits to a greased skillet or baking dish, brush tops generously with melted butter, and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Need more recipe inspiration?
These biscuits are great hot from the oven with a bit of melted butter, or toasted. You can also use them to make breakfast sandwiches, or serve them with sausage gravy! I love these biscuits with my Chorizo Sausage Gravy!
Tools for great biscuits
A mixing bowl, to combine the wet ingredients and dry ingredients.
A baking dish or cast iron skillet.
A brush, for brushing the biscuits with melted butter before baking.
Fresh baking powder, to ensure they rise nicely.
A good cheese grater.
A sharp knife and cutting board, for prepping the scallions.
Substitutions and additions
These biscuits can be customized to your tastes/what you have on hand. Here are a few ideas!
- Use all cheddar, instead of a mix of smoked gouda and cheddar, or vice versa.
- Try a different cheese, such as pepper jack, gruyere, or Swiss. Just be sure to hand grate, and keep the measurements the same. Stay away from high moisture cheeses, such as fresh mozzarella, for best results.
- Replace the scallions with a tablespoon of fresh chopped rosemary, scallions or parsley.
- Brush the tops with a bit more heavy cream, rather than butter, for a similar browning effect.
Storing the biscuits
Once the Cheddar Cheese Biscuits are fully cooled, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or 2, or in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze these in ziplock freezer safe bags for up to 2 months!
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it!
Made this Cheddar and Gouda Biscuits recipe? Share a review and rating below!
Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated smoked gouda cheese
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon melted butter, for brushing tops of biscuits
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 2. Make your biscuits: In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until well combined. Add cheese, scallions and cream- gently fold with a wooden spoon or spatula until all ingredients are well incorporated, and a loose dough forms. 3. Divide into 8 pieces, and roll gently with your hands into biscuits, pressing lightly. 4. Grease a large baking dish of 12" cast iron skillet. Transfer biscuits to a greased skillet or baking dish, brush tops generously with melted butter, and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.