Got leftover Crock Pot Birria? Upgrade your leftovers, and learn how to make Birria Quesadillas! For this Beef and cheese quesadilla recipe, just pile on some juicy beef Birria, cheese, red onion, and jalapeños into crisp, buttery flour tortillas and serve them with Birria consome, and you've got a home-run leftovers dinner in a flash!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Easy and tasty Birria Quesadillas- made with leftover Beef Birria!
Make a great appetizer, snack, easy lunch or quick family dinner with these Birria Quesadillas! All you need is leftover Crock Pot Beef Birria and 10 minutes!
I love making my leftovers into these quesadillas. It's a nice change of pace to traditional Birria tacos, and the flavors are so good! The spice of the jalapeno and the tangy cheddar makes for a delicious app or snack.
What is Birria?
Made with juicy slow braised beef, Birria is a rich and meaty dish. It's made with either beef or goat. For my recipe, I use a beef chuck roast, and slow cook it with a blend of spices, dried chilies, fire roasted tomatoes and beef stock. The meat is fall-apart tender, and the cooking liquid doubles as a Birria consome to dip your Quesabirria tacos, tacos, or quesadillas into.
I make mine in the crockpot, and blend the consume with my high powered blender or immersion blender. The recipe makes quite a bit. I love turning my Birria into tacos, these quesadillas, and into empanadas!
Looking for more great Mexican-inspired recipes?
Why not try my Mexican Chorizo Cornbread Casserole, Easy Crockpot Carnitas, Slow Cooker Chicken Pozole Verde, Crockpot Shredded Beef and Smoked Gouda Enchiladas, and of course- Slow Cooker Birria Tacos!
How to make the perfect Birria quesadilla
To make these quesadillas, you will need:
- Some flour tortillas. I like to use a 6", as it's a bit easier to maneuver in the pan, but use any size you want! Just adjust the ratio of filling accordingly.
- Leftover Crockpot Birria - well tossed in some Consome.
- Shredded cheese. Sharp cheddar, mozzarella or Oaxaca all work well. You can use Monterey jack, pepper jack, etc as well. Just think maximum meltability.
- Some diced red onion.
- A bit of thinly sliced jalapeños- to your preference.
- Butter, for frying the quesadillas.
These quesadillas come together really quickly. Just build each one ahead of time, melt a bit of butter, and fry them up until golden brown on both sides. While you prepare the quesadillas, you can warm a bit of consome on the side for dipping. If you'd rather not use butter- a bit of neutral cooking oil will also work to fry these!
You can add butter or oil as needed if you plan to cook a large batch of these. I prefer to fry my quesadillas in a non-stick frying pan, or cast iron skillet.
What kind of tortillas are best?
For making the quesadillas, I like to use a flour tortilla. Corn tortillas are pretty fragile, and don't hold up well. You can use any size you like, I just like to do the 6," as I find them easier to manage. You can also make as many as you like- so the size really doesn't affect the portions.
What kind of cheese should I use?
You can use any shreddable cheese for these quesadillas! I am very partial to a sharp cheddar for these, but Oaxaca cheese, mozzarella, or even an Italian blend shredded cheese works great for these!
What else can I add to the quesadillas?
This Beef and cheese quesadilla recipe calls for Birria, cheese, fresh jalapenos, and red onion. BUT- you can get as creative as you want, which is one of the great things about quesadillas! Here are a few other great additions to these:
- Canned diced green chilis
- Sliced avocado
- Roasted peppers
- Hot sauce
- Pickled red onions
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Diced white onion
- Thinly sliced scallion
Serving suggestions for the Beef and cheese quesadilla recipe
I like to serve these Birria Quesadillas with a warm bowl of Birria consome. They also go great with some sour cream, hot sauce, and guacamole. Think classic quesadilla dips- they all work here!
Never miss a recipe! Sign up today!
How to make Birria Quesadillas
- 4 flour tortillas (I use 6")
- ½ cup leftover Crockpot Birria, tossed in cosome , (see below for recipe link)
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar, Oaxaca, or mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- thinly sliced jalapeños, to taste
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1. On a sturdy board or platter, assemble bottom portions of quesadillas- add a layer of shredded cheese, followed by some leftover Crockpot Birria, then diced red onion and sliced jalapeños. 2. Melt butter in a medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat. 3. Once butter is melted, place one of the tortillas into the pan, tortilla side down, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until cheese starts to melt and bottom is golden brown. 4. Top with another flour tortilla, and carefully flip over. 5. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, until both sides are golden brown. 6. Remove to a cutting board and continue with second quesadilla, 7. Transfer second quesadilla to cutting board, and slice into triangles (3 slices for a 6” tortilla) and serve immediately with warmed consume, and sour cream, if desired.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.