Bourbon Bacon Onion Jam
Share this recipe!
This Bourbon Bacon Onion Jam recipe is THE JAM! Smoky and only mildly sweet, this easy bacon jam takes only a handful of ingredients to make. Take your barbecue to the next level, and use this to to make a bacon jam cheeseburger and more!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Delicious Bourbon flavored Bacon Onion Jam!
If you’ve never had bacon onion jam, you’re missing out. To quote a magnet on my fridge- “either you like bacon, or you’re wrong.” And I stand by that statement.
To keep things ultra-bacony and keep this bacon jam recipe from going too much to the sweet side, it’s flavored with dark brown sugar, bourbon, smoked paprika, and a touch of apple cider vinegar for balance. With plenty of chewy and gooey chunks of bacon and tangy and tasty caramelized onions- this jam is pretty hard to resist.
What goes into the Bacon jam recipe?
To make this jam, you will need:
- A pound of bacon. You can use any kind of bacon you like. Any smoke or thickness. Just steer clear of alternative bacons like turkey or beef. I would also avoid any maple flavored bacon. You want the flavor of the bacon to shine through the other ingredients.
- Dark brown sugar. If you don’t have it on hand, light brown sugar will work.
- Bourbon whiskey. This adds a depth of flavor to the jam, and the alcohol cooks off!
- Unfiltered/organic apple cider vinegar.
- Smoked paprika.
- Red onions, thinly sliced or diced. This is up to your preference, as the onions will retain a bit of their shape in the finished jam.
Looking for more fun recipe ideas?
Does it matter what kind of bacon I use?
While you can use any kind of bacon you like- there are a few things to stay away from. You want the flavor of the bacon to shine through the other ingredients, so you’ll want to use a classic bacon. This can be any type of wood smoke, and thick or classic cut. You can also use a center cut bacon for this recipe. This recipe will not work with turkey bacon or beef bacon.
How to store the bacon jam
Once your bacon jam is cooked and cooled completely to room temperature, you can store it in an airtight container or jar for up to one week in the refrigerator. With its high sugar content, I do not recommend freezing this recipe. That shouldn’t be an issue though- this stuff is addictive!
What does bacon jam taste like?
Bacon jam is the ultimate condiment. It’s a little smoky, a little sweet, and a little tangy. The smoked bacon, caramelized red onions and rich bourbon blend seamlessly into a spreadable, addicting flavor bomb that’s great on just about anything! Wanna know bacon jam tastes like? Make it for yourself!
How to use the Bacon Jam with bourbon
This jam is very versatile, and can be used in a number of ways. I love to serve it alongside a charcuterie platter, with various cheeses, toasts and crackers. It also makes a killer grilled cheese. My favorite way to use it? A Bacon Jam recipe is for burgers, of course!
Building the perfect Bacon jam cheeseburger
When using the bacon jam on a burger, I’m a big believer in the less is more approach. This jam packs a big flavor punch, so you want it to really shine. A well seasoned burger, a slice of good cheese (I’m an American girl), a little lettuce and a fluffy, toasted bun is all you need! Be sure to serve the bourbon bacon jam at room temperature for maximum spreadability and goodness.
Pairings for the bacon jam recipe for burgers and more!
- Use it in a gourmet grilled cheese!
- Add it to any burger! Especially this Pimento Cheeseburger!
- Use it as part of a charcuterie board!
- Spread it on Jalapeno Pimento Cheese Cornbread.
- Use it as a pizza topping with some hot honey!
There’s plenty you can do with this delicious bacon onion jam. It pairs well with most cheeses, one of my favorite combos being goat cheese or cheddar. Put it out with your burger toppings at your next BBQ and watch it disappear! A bacon jam burger never disappoints!
Never miss a recipe! Sign up now!
Bourbon Bacon Onion Jam
- 1 lb bacon, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
- 2 tbsp unfiltered/organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced or diced
- 1. In a medium nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally until crisp- 10-15 minutes. 2. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain, and remove all but 1 tbsp of the bacon fat from the pan. 3. Add onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and caramelized, 15-20 minutes. 4. Add the brown sugar and toss to coat with the onions. 5. Add the reserved drained bacon, water, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika and bourbon to the pan, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick, dark and jammy. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container or jar (once cooled to room temperature) for up to 1 week. Note: briefly microwave (under 30 seconds) or allow to sit out at room temperature for about 30 minutes prior to serving.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!