Orange Olive Oil Cake with Fig Jam
Share this recipe!
This simple and delicious Orange Olive Oil Cake with Fig Jam is a moist and flavorful upside-down cake that’s ready in under an hour! This no-fuss dessert is made with healthier swaps like extra virgin olive oil and low fat greek yogurt for a decadent treat with less guilt!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Looking for more great dessert ideas?
The EASIEST, no-fail orange upside down cake recipe!
If you are familiar with the blog, you know I am not a big baker, and as far as dessert recipes go, the easier the better. This Orange Olive Oil Cake with Fig Jam is no different. With a simple scratch-made batter, and a fruity and jammy top layer- this moist and delicious cake is nearly effortless, and can be pulled off my even the most inexperienced baker.
The easiest way to slice the oranges for the cake
And here it is- probably the hardest part of making this cake, is slicing the oranges. Don’t be intimidated- this step is also easy!
The best way to cut the oranges, is to slice them with the peel on first. After the oranges are all sliced, you will then remove the peels carefully with a small knife or pairing knife. This will make sure that your orange slices stay clean, uniform and intact. They’re going to be on the top of the cake, so we want them to be pretty!
What is the best fig jam to use for the cake?
Fig spread makes this recipe super easy, and accessible year ’round. Keep it in your pantry until you’re ready to bake, then save the rest in the fridge for toasts and charcuterie boards!
Layering the upside down olive oil cake
Before pouring in the cake batter, you’ll first prep your cake pan by lining it with parchment, then giving it a good sprit of cooking spray to endure nothing sticks. After that, you’ll thin out a bit of the fig spread with some water, and spread it into the bottom of the prepared pan. Next up, layer the orange slices in an even layer.
Baking the cake
Once you have your pan and fruit layer ready, it’s time to add the batter. Pour the batter over the fruit layer, spread evenly, and bake until golden- about 35 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely before carefully flipping over, and removing the parchment paper.
Never miss a recipe! Sign up today!
Orange Olive Oil Cake with Fig Jam
- parchment paper
- 9" cake pan
- baking sheet/sheet pan
- cooking spray
- 2 medium sized cara cara, naval or blood oranges
- 2 tbsp fig spread /jam
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup granulated organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup low fat vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fig spread/jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F. 2. Spray a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray, then line with parchment paper so that it covers the bottom and goes up the sides of the pan. Fold parchment paper so that it hugs the sides of the pan. Spray the parchment with non-stick spray. 3. With the skin still on, slice citrus 1/4 inch thick slices. Use a paring knife to carefully remove the skin from the citrus slices. Doing it this way will ensure your oranges slices stay intact and do not break apart when you slice them. 4. Mix together 2 tbsp fig spread or jam with 1 tbsp water to give it a thinner consistency. Spread along the bottom of the parchment lined pan. 5. Layer the orange slices in a single layer. 6. In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredient to the bowl, and stir until well combined. 7. Pour batter over fruit layer. 8. Place cake pan on a baking sheet, and bake for 30-35 minutes on the middle rack, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean 9. Allow cake to cool completely, then carefully flip over onto a wire rack. 10. Slice and serve.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.