Banana Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake
Share this recipe!
This easy and delicious Banana Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake looks fancy, but could not be easier to make! All you need is a handful of simple pantry ingredients, some ripe bananas, and your trusty cast iron skillet!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.Yum
I know, it’s hard to believe, but there are actually other things you can do with overripe bananas besides classic banana bread! While I won’t turn my nose up at a slice of banana bread or a banana nut muffin, sometimes- i yearn for something more. Enter the Banana Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake.
This super moist, super easy cake is made in your handy-dandy cast iron skillet, and ready to go in just about 40 minutes! And while this cake is easy as can be- it’s got a pretty presentation- thanks to said cast iron skillet.
Caramelizing the bananas
While I usually start off by making the batter for this cake and setting it on the counter- the first thing that goes into the skillet is plenty of butter, and light brown sugar. You’ll cook those together until they’re homogenous and caramely- then it’s time to add the bananas.
To keep the bananas pretty (and relatively intact), I like to cut them in half, with the peels still on. This ensure they make it to the pan mostly unscathed. Don’t worry if someone gets broken either! Just smush them back together with your fingers. They’re bananas, after all.
Making the cake
Once your bananas have cooked briefly in the butter/sugar mixture, you’ll transfer the easy batter to the pan, and spread it out edge-to-edge.
When your batter is spread out, transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool at least 1 hour. Once the cake is cool enough to handle, place a plate over the top, and flip the cake out carefully onto the plate. If anything sticks, you can just adhere it back to the top!
This cake tastes great semi-warm with ice cream, or room temp!
Want to give this recipe a try?
If you make my Banana Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Banana Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake
- cast iron skillet
- 3 ripe bananas, split lengthwise (peels intact for easy transfer)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine. 3. Add wet ingredients, and beat with a hand mixer until a smooth batter forms. 4. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in chocolate chips. Set batter aside. 5. Add butter and brown sugar to a large cast iron skillet and heat over medium heat. Once butter melts, toss to coat with sugar and cook 2-3 minutes, until bubbly and thick. 6. Turn off the heat, and place bananas (carefully) cut side down and pull away skins. If bananas break, simply reposition or mold back together with your fingers. 7. Cover bananas and sugar with batter, spreading it out carefully so it covers edge-to-edge. 8. Transfer to preheated oven, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 9. Allow cake to to cool completed, and run a butter knife around the edges to help it release.Place a plate over top, and flip cake over to release. If anything sticks, you can just adhere it back to the top!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!