This easy, earthy and delicious Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken with Maitake Mushrooms is made start to finish in one skillet! With a rich and herbaceous sauce, hen of the woods mushrooms and tender chicken, this one pot mushroom chicken dish makes a great date night meal or weeknight stunner!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
A deliciously creamy chicken and Maitake mushrooms recipe
This easy mushroom chicken dish has real wow-factor with earthy and super flavorful Maitake mushrooms, herbs, garlic and parmesan cheese. The whole dish comes together in one pan, so it's easy enough to serve on a weeknight, but elegant enough to serve for a fancy date night or dinner party!
Serve the chicken alongside some crusty garlic bread and a light green salad for a real treat any night of the week.
What goes into the Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken?
This creamy and decadent maitake mushroom chicken feels like a date night, but can be made any night in about an hour. Best of all? The whole recipes goes down IN ONE PAN. Fellow dish-haters; rejoice!
Looking for more great dinner recipes?
Why not try my 5 Cheese Sausage and Spinach Lasagna, Sunday Sauce with Bracciole, Meatballs and Sausage, Red Pepper Cream Sauce, One Pot Sausage Artichoke Pasta Bake, or Cheese Tortellini with Roasted Tomato and Sausage Cream Sauce!
Making the Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken
To make these dreamy mushroom chicken, you will need:
- Fresh maitake mushrooms (aka Hen of the Woods mushrooms). Find these at specialty markets, large grocers and farmers markets.
- Baby Bella mushrooms, or Cremini mushrooms.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast, and a meat mallet or sturdy rolling pin.
- Fresh thyme, fresh rosemary and fresh garlic.
- A shallot.
- Butter and olive oil.
- Chicken stock.
- Milk or heavy cream.
- Grated parmesan cheese.
- A/P flour.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
What is a Maitake mushroom?
Maitakes are an edible mushroom which grows on the bases of trees.Known as "hen of the woods," the mushrooms grown naturally in light brown feather-like clusters.
Maitake mushrooms have a pronounced, earthy, and woodsy flavor. They are also widely believed to posses heath benefits!
The maitakes really give this dish it's mushroom-forward flavor, and and enhanced by the addition of fresh herbs.
Prepping the chicken
To help give the chicken it's tender texture and make sure it cooks evenly, you'll want to pound it out with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Be careful not to over beat the chicken. You are looking for about ½" thick breasts. The pieces of chicken will be rather large, and can be sliced and served. Alternatively, you can cut the breasts in half to make 4 individual portions.
Once the chicken is thin and ready to go, season it evenly with salt and pepper, and coat it in flour. This will help it to brown nicely, as well as help to thicken the sauce later.
Making the sauce for the Mushroom chicken dish
To make the sauce for this Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken, you'll start by sautéing the mushrooms and shallots in the same pan you browned the chicken in. Next, add the herbs and garlic, then the stock, milk (or cream) and parmesan cheese. Lastly, add the chicken back to the pan to finish, and that's it!
What to serve with the Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken
All of the delectable mushroom sauce in this maitake mushrooms recipe begs to be sopped up with some crusty bread! Alternatively, the sauce is great over pasta, polenta, or mashed potatoes! Serve this creamy chicken and mushrooms recipe with a light green salad and a great glass of vino. Bon Appetit!
Never miss a recipe! Sign up today!
If you make my Creamy chicken and Maitake mushrooms recipe, please share via social media on Instagram, and leave a comment below! I love to hear from you and see what you're cooking! This mushroom chicken dish is one of my favorites!
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken with Maitake Mushrooms
- 3.5 oz fresh maitake mushrooms, cleaned and torn into small pieces
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 2 medium sized boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to ½” thickness
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- /2 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Thinly slice the baby Bella mushrooms and shallot. Set aside. 2. Tear the mairake mushrooms with your hands into small pieces. No need to slice. Set aside. 3. Thinly slice the garlic. 4. Using a rolling pin or meat mallet, place chicken in a resealable bag and pound out until evenly ½” thick. 5. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and dredge with the flour on both sides. 6. In a large cast iron skillet or deep frying pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat until melted and bubbly about 3-4 minutes. 7. Add floured and seasoned chicken to the skillet, and cook 5-6 minutes a side, until just browned. 8. Transfer chicken to a rimmed plate and set aside. 9. Add the shallots. And mushrooms to the pan, and season with salt and pepper. 10. Cook, stirring occasionally 6-8 minutes over medium heat until mushrooms are softened. 11. Add rosemary, thyme (do not chop herbs) and garlic, and stir to coat. Cook 1 minute until just fragrant. 12. Add chicken stock, milk and parmesan and cook on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. 13. Add chicken (and accumulated juices) back to the pan, reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes, until sauce is slightly thickened. 14. Slice chicken and serve with mashed potatoes, polenta, or rice.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.