This Easy Green Lentil Soup is slightly smoky, a little spicy, super healthy and ready in just over an hour! This pantry-friendly meal makes a great meal any night of the week! With a unique blend of herbs and spices, this Green Lentil Soup recipe packs a real punch, and can be made vegan!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Easy, flavorful Green Lentil Soup
As quick and easy soup you can pull together from your pantry, Lentil soup has got to be one of my favorites. It's super flavorful and hearty, and can be 100% vegan if you like!
What goes into the Green Lentil Soup recipe?
To make this easy and hearty Lentil Soup, you'll just need a few pantry items:
- Olive oil, to sweat the veggies.
- 3 medium carrots, cut into small pieces, so they cook evenly.
- A small onion, finely diced.
- A couple stalks of celery, preferable with leaves (they are so flavorful!).
- Dry green lentils.
- Vegetable stock. If you want, you could also use chicken stock or beef stock!
- A can of fire roasted diced tomatoes.
- Spices: dried oregano, garlic powder, dried basil, ground cumin, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Apple cider vinegar (I prefer organic).
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
Lentil soup spices- what makes this soup extra special
This soup is not only easy to make, but it's super pantry friendly, and cost conscious. What really sets the soup apart is the flavorful blend of spices that flavor the broth. The green lentils have a great earthy flavor, and are really filling!
This Green Lentil Soup packs a powerful flavor punch, with smokey and spicy notes from the cumin and red pepper flakes, as well as well rounded flavor from the Italian spices.
SOUPER fast and easy
In about an hour's time, the soup is done! And, most of that time, you can spend doing other things while this soup basically cooks itself. This soup is great for weeknights when you have some errands around the house, or just want to relax while dinner cooks itself.
Looking for more great soup recipes?
Why not try my Chicken Tortellini Soup with Leeks, Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup with Mushrooms, Ham, Bean and Bacon Soup with Dumplings, Creamy Orzo Soup with Chicken and Bacon, or Escarole Soup with Barley and Parmesan!
Want to save this recipe for later?
What to serve with the lentil soup
Serve this easy Vegan Lentil Soup with a great sandwich, some crusty bread, or as a meal all in itself! This carrot lentil soup also keeps and reheats well, so it's also a great candidate for meal prep for weekday lunches.
Never miss a recipe! Sign up today!
Made this Green Lentil Soup Recipe? Leave a review and rating below!
Easy Green Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped into ¼" pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (with leaves)
- 1 cup green lentils
- 32 oz vegetable stock, (can use chicken stock or beef stock as well)
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar, (preferably organic)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. In a 5 quart saucepan or stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. 2. Add celery, onion, and carrot- season with salt and pepper, and cook until slightly softened and translucent, about 7 minutes. 3. Add spices, stir to combine and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 4. Add lentils, fire roasted tomatoes, 1 tablespoon vinegar (reserve ½ tablespoon for end of cooking) and stock- turn heat to high and bring to a boil. 5. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook on low until soup is thickened and lentils and veggies are fully cooked, 1 hour. 4. Finish soup with salt and pepper to taste, stir in reserved ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar and serve!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.