Easy Hearty Lentil Soup
Share this recipe!
This Easy Hearty Lentil Soup is slightly smoky, slightly spicy, super healthy and ready in just over an hour!Jump to recipe
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Aa s quick and easy soup you can pull together from your pantry, Lentil soup has got to be one of my favorites.
It’s super flavorful and hearty, and can be 100% vegan if you like!
To make my Easy Hearty Lentil Soup, you’ll just need a few pantry items (fire roasted diced tomatoes, red and green lentils, chicken stock, apple cider vinegar), some spices, a few basic veggies, and about an hour of time, most of which, you can spend doing other things while this soup basically cooks itself.
Serve this Easy Hearty Lentil Soup with a great sandwich, or as a meal all in itself. This soup keeps and reheats well, so it’s also a great candidate for meal prep for weekday lunches.
For more soups and great dinner ideas, visit my dinners page!
Easy Hearty Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped into 1/4" pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup red split lentils
- 32 oz chicken stock*
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a 5 quart saucepan or stockpot, heat olive oil over low heat. Add celery, onion, and carrot, season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly softened and translucent, about 7 minutes.
2. Add spices, stir to combine and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add lentils, tomatoes, 1 tbsp vinegar (reserve 1/2 tbsp for end of cooking) and chicken stock- turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Return heat to low and cover, cook on low until soup is thickened and lentils are fully cooked, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Finish soup with salt and pepper to taste, stir in reserved 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar and serve!
If you’d like to make this soup vegan, you could use veggie stock in place of chicken stock. Beef stock also works well, if that’s what you have on hand.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!