Vegan Lentil Soup
Share this recipe!
This easy and delicious Vegan Lentil Soup is slightly smoky, a little spicy, super healthy and ready in just over an hour! This pantry-friendly meal makes a great meal any night of the week! With a unique blend of herbs and spices, this vegan soup packs a real punch!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Easy and delicious Vegan Lentil Soup
A s quick and easy soup you can pull together from your pantry, Lentil soup has got to be one of my favorites.
It’s super flavorful and hearty, and can be 100% vegan if you like!
What goes into the lentil soup?
To make my Easy Hearty Lentil Soup, you’ll just need a few pantry items:
- Olive oil.
- 3 medium carrots.
- A small onion.
- A couple stalks of celery.
- Dry French green lentils.
- Dry red split lentils.
- Vegetable stock. If you want, you could also use chicken stock.
- A can of fire roasted diced tomatoes.
- Dry oregano, garlic powder, dry basil, ground cumin, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Apple cider vinegar (I prefer organic).
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
Lentil soup spices- what makes this vegan soup extra special
This soup is not only easy to make, but it’s super pantry friendly, and cost conscious. What really sets the soup apart is the blend of red and green lentils, and the flavorful blend of spices that flavor the broth.
This soup packs a powerful flavor punch, with smokey and spicy notes from the cumin and red pepper flakes, as well as well rounded flavor from the Italian spices.
SOUPER fast and easy
In about an hour’s time the soup is done! And, most of that time, you can spend doing other things while this soup basically cooks itself.
Looking for more great soup recipes?
Why not try my Chicken Tortellini Soup with Leeks, Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup with Mushrooms, Ham, Bean and Bacon Soup with Dumplings, Creamy Orzo Soup with Chicken and Bacon, or Escarole Soup with Barley and Parmesan!
What to serve with the lentil soup
Serve this easy Vegan Lentil Soup with a great sandwich, some crusty bread, or as a meal all in itself! This carrot lentil soup also keeps and reheats well, so it’s also a great candidate for meal prep for weekday lunches.
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped into 1/4" pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1/2 cup red split lentils
- 32 oz vegetable stock, (can use chicken stock as well)
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. In a 5 quart saucepan or stockpot, heat olive oil over low heat. Add celery, onion, and carrot, season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly softened and translucent, about 7 minutes.
2. Add spices, stir to combine and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add lentils, tomatoes, 1 tbsp vinegar (reserve 1/2 tbsp for end of cooking) and chicken stock- turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Return heat to low and cover, cook on low until soup is thickened and lentils are fully cooked, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Finish soup with salt and pepper to taste, stir in reserved 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar and serve!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!