This hearty, comforting and delicious meatless Escarole Soup with Barley and Parmesan is super simple to make! The soup can be made with chicken stock, or vegetable stock to make it totally vegetarian!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.JUMP TO RECIPE
Super simple and cozy- this Escarole Soup with Barley and Parmesan makes a great weeknight meal or hearty lunch! While the soup can be made with chicken stock, if you make it with vegetable stock- it's 100% vegetarian!
To make this Escarole Soup with Barley and Parmesan, you will need:
- Plenty of good quality olive oil.
- 1-2 large heads escarole, cleaned and rough chopped. Add as much or as little as you like!
- Chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- An onion, some celery and a few small carrots.
- A bunch of garlic. This recipe calls for 6 cloves but if you're a garlic fiend- go nuts!
- A touch of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Beaten eggs, for texture.
- Some barley.
- 1 parmesan rind- any size will do, The rind imparts great flavor on the broth, and is highly recommended. Save the rest of the parm for grating on the finished soup!
Prepping the ingredients
Once you have all of your veggies chopped and ready to go- this soup comes together in no time.
To make the soup, sauté your aromatics, then simmer, stream the eggs in, and serve!
Once the soup is ready to eat, I like to serve it alongside some crusty bread and salad, with extra olive oil and plenty of grated parmesan cheese.
Want to give this recipe a try?
If you make my Escarole Soup with Barley and Parmesan, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Escarole Soup with Barley and Parmesan
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 large heads escarole, cleaned and rough chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 small stalk celery with leaves, chopped finely
- 2 small carrots, chopped finely
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup barley
- 1 parmesan rind
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- fresh grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Add olive oil to large stock pot, and heat over medium heat. 2. Add the celery, carrots and onion, and season with alt and pepper. 3. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes, until onions are softened. 4. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally. 5. Add the barley, escarole, stock and parmesan rind, stir well to combine. 6. Turn heat to high, and bring to a boil. 7. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 minutes. 8. After 30 minutes, remove the parmesan rind. 9. While stirring the soup, slowly stream in beaten eggs. 10. Cook 1-2 minutes more.Serve soup hot with additional olive oil if desired, and plenty of grated parmesan cheese.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.