Instant Pot Minestrone Soup with Kale
Loaded with herby flavor, and hearty beans and kale- this quick and easy Instant Pot Minestrone Soup with Kale comes together in less than 30 minutes!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.Yum
A hearty vegetarian meal that’s ready in less than 30 minutes- this Instant Pot Minestrone Soup with Kale is a healthy weeknight hero. This soup is loaded with fresh veggies and fiber-rich kale and beans, and can be made vegan by using vegan pesto, and omitting the parmesan cheese topping, or replacing it with a vegan parmesan, such as this one from Love and Lemons.
This soup is so richly flavored and comforting, and is a huge favorite among friends and family. And how can you beat a soup that from prep to plate is ready in UNDER 30 MINUTES?!
Prepping the ingredients
This soup comes together very quickly, and it helps to have all of your ingredients prepped and read to go. You could even do this the night before, so it’s all waiting for you when you get home from work.
I like to chop up all of my veggies in advance, so they are ready to add to the pot quickly. The carrots, celery and onion will go in first, followed by the garlic, then the zucchini or squash, and last but not least- the kale. So if doing the prep work in advance, separate the veggies accordingly.
Cooking the soup
Once all your ingredients are prepped and ready to go, you’ll start by setting the Instant Pot to sauté, and briefly sweating the celery, onion and carrots until the onions are translucent.
Building the flavor
Sautéing the vegetables first helps to give them a nice texture, and bring out their flavor. And to build the flavor even more, once the veggies are softened, the next step is cooking out the spices, tomato paste and garlic briefly to intensify their flavors. This soup cooks FAST- so building flavor is key.
Final steps for a great soup
Once you’ve briefly cooked the spiced, tomato paste and garlic with the veggies, it’s time to deglaze the pan with some white wine. If you’re not a fan of cooking with wine, you could skip it- but I highly recommend adding the wine. It give the soup great depth of flavor.
Once the wine cooks a few minutes and absorbs into the veggies, you’ll add; a couple bay leaves, fire roasted diced tomatoes, pesto, beans, pasta and zucchini or squash.
Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure, then do a quick release. Set it back to sauté, and cook the kale for about 5-7 minutes, and that’s it!
I love to serve this soup piping hot, with plenty of grated parmesan cheese and a bit of chopped parsley. Serve it with a hunk of crusty bread for a hearty, vegetarian (or vegan!) meal, or as a first course!
Want to give this recipe a try?
If you make my Instant Pot Minestrone Soup with Kale, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Looking for more great recipes? Why not try my Instant Pot Tuscan Sausage, Farro and White Bean Soup, Slow Cooker Mexican Pozole, Shrimp Corn Chowder, or Shrimp Gumbo with Chicken and Andouille!
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup with Kale
- Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ribs of celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 cup diced zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp prepared pesto (homemade or jarred)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for serving
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup mini shell pasta, or ditalini
- 1 bunch chopped kale, tough stems removed
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- grated parmesan, for serving
- Turn Instant Pot on sauté and add olive oil. 2. Sautée the onion, celery, and carrots with salt and pepper to taste for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent. 3. Add the spices, garlic and tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook until fragrant 1-2 minutes. 4. Add the wine and cook 1-2 minutes until mostly evaporated. 5. Turn off the instant pot. 6. Add the zucchini or squash, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaves, parsley, pesto, water, pasta and beans. Stir well. 7. Close lid and set vent to sealed position. 8. Set to pressure cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. 9. After the 6 minutes, carefully do a quick pressure release using a kitchen towel to turn the valve to venting position. 10. Once pressure is released, open pot and remove the bay leaves. 11. Set to sautée, and add kale and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook 5-7 minutes. Stirring occasionally until kale is cooked through. 12. Serve hot with additional chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.