Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters
Share this recipe!
These easy and tasty Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters are perfectly seasoned, and ready in under 30 minutes! Using this inexpensive cut is a great way to feed your family on a budget, without sacrificing flavor! Marinate them overnight for extra flavor, or season and cook right away!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Easy and delicious air fryer chicken quarters
For a delicious, juicy chicken recipe on a budget, look no further than these Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters! Chicken Leg Quarters are VERY inexpensive, as there are less cuts the butcher has to make. I’ve seen packages of 4 quarters for as low as $5!
For this quick and easy weeknight recipe, all you need are a few staple spices and 30 minutes, and you’ve got crispy, juicy chicken ready to enjoy!
What to do with the leftovers
Aside from being inexpensive, chicken leg quarters are also very meaty. This makes them a great candidate for leftover meals! Here are some great ideas for using up leftover chicken:
- Chicken Cobb salad with Greek Yogurt Dressing
- Chorizo Chicken Taco Soup
- Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- Greek Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Sazón Chicken Salad
- Mix it into some Creamy Mushroom Orzo
- Use it up in some Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup with Leeks
Looking for more great air fryer recipes?
Prepping the chicken leg quarters
Before cooking the chicken leg quarters in the air fryer, you’ll want to pat them dry well with paper towels. Once the chicken is dry, you’ll rub them generously with a simple spice blend, and either refrigerate, or cook immediately!
Marinating the chicken leg quarters
You can marinate the chicken in the dry rub for up to 24 hours prior to cooking the chicken, or cook immediately The longer the spice blends sits, the better the flavor.
What kind of seasoning goes on the chicken?
The quick and easy dry rub for the Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters is made up of a few simple pantry spices, and some coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. To make the quick and easy rub, you will need:
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dry mustard
- Smoked paprika
Can I use different seasoning for the air fryer chicken quarters?
Feel free to experiment and add any spices and flavors you like to the dry rub! You could also use any of your favorite store bought dry rubs. You will need about 4 tsp of any spice blend to throughly coat both sides of the chicken leg quarters.
Cooking the chicken leg quarters in air fryer
To cook the chicken quarters in the air fryer, you’ll start by placing the dry rubbed chicken into the air fryer skin side down. Do not preheat your air fryer. This will ensure the skin can crisp well, rendering it’s own fat. Follow these steps, and your chicken will cook up evenly, for a juicer finished product.
Tips for crispy chicken leg quarters
To make sure your chicken leg quarters come out crispy and juicy every time, make sure you start them skin side down, and finish skin side up.
Rub it in. Be sure to rub the seasoning in very well, and avoid large clumps of seasoning on your chicken. This can result is burnt areas. For evenly seasoned and delicious chicken, massage it well.
Temp your chicken. Chicken leg quarters vary in size. This recipe cooks in under 30 minutes, however, it’s always a good idea to give them a check close to the end of cooking time to ensure the meat is cooked through. You can do this by inserting a thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. We’re looking for 160-165 degrees.
Can I use this recipe for chicken thighs or legs?
Yes you can! These may cook up a bit faster, so just be sure to check the temperature close to the end of the cooking time to be sure they don’t go over.
Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters
- air fryer
- 2 bone in, skin on chicken leg quarters
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepping the chicken 1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. 2. Mix all spices together well. 3. Rub both sides of the chicken well with the spice blend, being sure not to leave any large clumps of seasoning on the chicken, (as they can burn). 4. At this point, you can place the chicken in a ziplock bag and refrigerate for up to 24 hours, or cook immediately. The longer the seasoning stays on the chicken, the more flavorful it will be. Cooking the chicken 1. Place chicken in air fryer skin side down, and air fry at 380 degrees for 15 minutes. Start cooking the chicken in a cold air fryer- do not preheat. 2. After 15 minutes, flip chicken over, and cook 10-15 minutes more. Cooking time mayo vary depend on the size of your chicken quarters. Cook until the chicken registers 165 degrees at thickest point of thigh. This can be checked at 10 minutes, after the chicken is flipped. 4. Allow chicken to rest about 10 minutes, and serve hot!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!