Creamy Mushroom Orzo
This easy weeknight Creamy Mushroom Orzo is a great meatless dinner or side dish you can whip up in under 30 minutes! With baby bella mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms and plenty of parmesan- this creamy dish won’t last long!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.Yum
If you love mushrooms as much as my live-in Gordon Ramsay boyfriend and I do, then you are going to LOVE this recipe. An easy weeknight meatless dinner, or a great side for any protein, this Creamy Mushroom Orzo always hits the spot.
This dish is super easy to make, and loaded flavor. With orzo, sautéed fresh mushrooms, thyme, and garlic all enveloped in a creamy parmesan sauce, this dish is always gone just as quick as it was served.
Mega mushrooms = lots of flavor
This recipe calls for two kinds of fresh mushrooms- baby bellas (tiny portobellos) and shiitakes. The meaty flavor of the baby bellas and the earthy goodness of the shiitakes is enhanced with a bit of thyme and garlic, for a meatless meal that packs a real punch.
Making the mushroom orzo
This recipe starts with cooking the orzo. Simply boil it according to the package directions with a bit of salt, drain it, and set it aside. We’re going for EASY here.
Next, add some butter and olive oil to a pan, followed by the sliced mushrooms. Be sure to clean the mushrooms with a damp towel to remove any debris, and discard any tough stem pieces. The stems of both the baby bellas and shiitakes are edible and delicious- don’t throw them away!
Once the mushrooms have cooked and reduced, it’s time to add some dried thyme and fresh garlic, then some wine. If you’re not into wine- you can sub in chicken stock. Let the liquid soak into the mushrooms and once it’s fully absorbed, add the cooked orzo and heavy cream and last but certainly not least, the parmesan. And there you have it! Easy, delicious and ultra-creamy mushroom orzo!
Want to give this recipe a try?
If you make my Creamy Mushroom Orzo, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Looking for more great side dishes? Why not try my Stuffed Pattypan Squash with Rainbow Chard, Walnuts & Goat Cheese, Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Honey-Thyme Butter, Cauliflower Potato Mash, or Kimchi Fried Rice with Bacon!
Creamy Mushroom Orzo
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced, tough stems removed
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced, tough stems removed
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 cup white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 1 cup orzo, cooked according to package directions
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Boil orzo in salted water according to package directions. Drain well set aside. 2. Heat butter and oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat until butter melts. Swirl around the pan to coat. 3. Add the sliced mushroom and chopped shallots, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. 4. Cook mushrooms for 6-8 minutes, until volume is reduced by half. 5. Add the garlic and dried thyme to the pan and cook for 1 minute, until just fragrant. 6. Add the wine and cook 2-3 minutes until fully absorbed. 7. Add the cooked orzo and cream and stir to combine. Cook 2 mins until cream is fully absorbed. 8. Turn off heat and stir in parmesan. Serve hot!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.