This super easy and delicious Air Fryer Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese is made start to finish in the air fryer! With flavorful turkey bacon, gooey smoked gouda cheese, peppery arugula, roasted red peppers and garlic mayo, this gourmet grilled cheese is ready to go in less than 20 minutes!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
A deliciously crisp and cheesy turkey bacon grilled cheese, made start to finish in the air fryer!
This gourmet Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese is packed with flavor, and makes a great lunch, or a fast weeknight dinner. Cooking the turkey bacon and the sandwich both in the air fryer makes this recipe effortlessly easy, with barely and cleanup.
Looking for more great sandwich recipes?
What goes into the air fryer grilled cheese?
To make this sandwich, you will need:
- 3 slices of good quality turkey bacon. I prefer Godshalls turkey bacon for my sandwiches.
- 2 slices of sturdy bread. I like a good Pane toscano bread, or thicker cut sourdough.
- Jarred roasted red peppers. These can be plain, marinated or sliced.
- A small handful baby arugula.
- Shredded smoked gouda cheese.
- Softened butter, for spreading on the outside of the sandwich.
- Minced garlic (fresh or jarred).
Cooking the turkey bacon in the air fryer
To cook the turkey bacon in the air fryer, you'll start by preheating your air fryer to 370 degrees. Next, layer the turkey bacon in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between each slice. Air fry for at 370 degrees for 4 minutes. Flip the turkey bacon, and cook for 4 more minutes, until nicely browned.
Once the turkey bacon is fully cooked, remove it from the air fryer. Cut each slice of turkey bacon in half and set aside. Cutting the turkey bacon will help ensure it stays inside the sandwich, and keep it from taking on more color o overcooking from sticking out of the bread.
Assembling the air fryer grilled cheese
To make the sandwich, start by spreading room temperature butter evenly onto the outside of 2 slices of bread. next, mix the garlic and mayo together, and spread the mixture evenly onto the inside of each slice of bread. Layer on a handful of baby arugula leaves, followed by the smoked gouda, red peppers, and finally, the turkey bacon. Close the sandwich up, and secure with a toothpick in the center. This will ensure the top of the sandwich stays in place in the air fryer.
When you have the sandwich fully assembled, place it back in the air fryer for 4 minutes a side at 370 degrees, flipping once.
My favorite turkey bacon, ever
My favorite turkey bacon for this sandwich is Godshalls turkey bacon. I've had a lot of so-so or bland turkey bacon, in the past, but once I found Godshalls, it became my go-to turkey bacon.
Godshalls bacon is real wood smoked, and made with U.S. raised turkeys! Like most turkey bacon, it's a lower fat and calorie option to traditional bacon. BUT- it definitely does not skimp on flavor.
This turkey bacon is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Check out my Turkey Bacon and Egg Muffins with Asparagus and Pesto for a great way to enjoy it for breakfast!
Additions and substitutions for the air fryer toasted sandwich
This grilled cheese is easily customizable to your tastes, or to what you have on hand in your fridge and pantry! Here are some ideas of easy swaps or add-ons for to make the sandwich yours!
- Try a sprouted or whole grain bread, or marble rye.
- Substitute arugula for baby spinach.
- Omit the roasted red peppers, or add on some pickled veggies.
- Try some sharp cheddar or fontina in place of the smoked gouda.
Air Fryer Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese
- air fryer
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- 2 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 sliced bread of choice , (sourdough or thicker bread prefered)
- 1-2 tablespoon jarred roasted red peppers , sliced into strips
- 1 small handful baby arugula leaves
- ½ cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoon mayonaise
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- Preheat Air fryer 1. Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees. Cook the Turkey Bacon 1. Layer the turkey bacon in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between each slice. 2. Air fry for at 370 degrees for 4 minutes. 3. ‘Flip the turkey bacon, and cook for 4 more minutes, until nicely browned. 4. Remove to cool enough to hand, and slice each strip of bacon in half. Assemble and Cook the Grilled Cheese 1. Spread room temperature butter evenly onto the outside of 2 slices of bread. 2. Mix the garlic and mayo together, and spread evenly onto the inside of each slice of bread. 3. Layer on a handful of baby arugula leaves, followed by the smoked gouda, red peppers, and sliced turkey bacon. 4. Close the sandwich, butter side up, and (optionally) secure with a toothpick. 5. Place sandwich in air fryer basket, and cook at 370 degrees for 4 minutes a side, flipping once. 6. Slice and enjoy!
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.