A no-fail dinner side, this Weeknight Spicy Zucchini and Carrot Recipe is super simple to make, and loaded with flavor. Simply toss some fresh veggies with a few herbs and spices, cook them over low heat, then caramelize them at the end for an easy and healthy side dish you can pull together on a busy weeknight.JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
An easy and healthy weeknight Zucchini and Carrot side dish!
One of my favorite sides, this Weeknight Spicy Zucchini and Carrot Skillet always hits the spot, and is a great side for any protein that can be set on low while you prep your main course.
Making the Zucchini and Carrot Skillet
To make this easy side dish, you will need:
- A couple medium/large zucchini, sliced into even rounds. You don't want these TOO THIN, or they will break down as you cook them. Think nice, sturdy slices, about ¼" thick.
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly. Think THIN here. This way, they will cook evenly with the zucchini.
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic. Fresh or jarred- no judgment here.
- Dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and olive oil.
This recipe is almost too easy. Simply slice the veggies, toss with the other ingredients to combine, and transfer to a large non-stick frying pan.
Cooking the Zucchini and Carrot
Once the zucchini and carrots are nice and coated in the olive oil and spice mixture and in your pan, cover the pan with a lid, and set it over medium-low.
Check on it from time to time and give it a few stirs, and after about 8-10 minutes, the veggies should be mostly softened (carrots will be somewhat crisp-tender).
At this point, you'll remove the lid, turn the heat up to medium-high, and cook the veggies about 5 minutes more, until the zucchini takes on some color. And that's IT!
I love to serve these alongside any protein, whether it be some seared or baked salmon, grilled chicken, or even with turkey burgers!
Want to save this Zucchini and Carrot Recipe for later? Pin it!
Made this recipe? Leave a review and rating below!
If you make my Zucchini and Carrot Recipe, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Looking for more great side dishes? Why not try my Stuffed Pattypan Squash with Rainbow Chard, Walnuts & Goat Cheese, Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Honey-Thyme Butter, Cauliflower Potato Mash, or Kimchi Fried Rice with Bacon!
Skillet Spicy Zucchini and Carrot Recipe
- 2 medium/large zucchini, sliced even rounds about ¼”
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add sliced zucchini and carrots to a large mixing bowl. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, olive oil and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine. 2. Transfer tossed veggies to a large on-stick frying pan, and cover with a lid. Heat over medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. 3. Once softened, turn the heat to medium-high remove the lid and cook 4-5 minutes more, until zucchini are lightly caramelized. Serve hot!
If you prefer it less spicy, you could omit the red pepper flakes.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.