Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
Share this recipe!
These rich and super chocolatey Double Chocolate Chip Muffins with Pecans are a great dessert or sweet breakfast recipe you can whip up quickly whenever the chocolate craving strikes!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Easy and delicious Double Chocolate Chip Muffins!
If you are a chocolate lover, you are going to LOVE these easy and delicious Double Chocolate Chip Muffins. Made with simple pantry staples, and tons of melty chocolate chips and chopped pecans, these decadent muffins are great for an indulgent sweet breakfast, or a simple dessert!
What goes into the Double Chocolate Chip Muffins?
To make these super chocolatey muffins, you will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 1 tbsp baking powder. Be sure to make sure it’s active and fresh! Check those expiration dates.
- 1 tsp baking soda.
- 1 tbsp instant coffee. This is optional, but adds a nice richness to the finished muffins.
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- ½ cup vegetable oil. You can also use avocado oil or canola oil.
- 1 cup organic cane sugar, or regular granulated sugar.
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature.
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt or sour cream, at room temperature.
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract.
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans. If you aren’t a fan or have an allergy, you can omit these.
- 1/2 cup milk. Preferably whole milk, but 2% will work, too.
Tips for perfect muffins, every time
- Be careful not to over mix! You want to keep mixing to a minimum for the best muffin texture. To make maxing a breeze, bring your cold ingredients to room temperature. If you’re in a time crunch, you can do a quick 10 seconds or so in the microwave to help things along.
- Make sure you are using fresh, active baking powder. Has yours been sitting in your cabinet a while? Check the date and throw away/replace the old stuff. This helps keep your muffins ultra fluffy!
- Preheat your oven before you start making the batter. This will ensure the oven gets nice and hot. These muffins cook for their first 5 minutes at a high temperature to help them get nice, high muffin tops. After 5 minutes, you’ll drop them temperature for the remainder of the baking time.
- Save a bit of the chocolate chips and pecans back, and add them to the tops of the muffin batter just before baking to make them extra pretty!
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack to room temperature after letting them rest in the muffin tin for a few minutes.
Making the muffin batter
To make the batter, you’ll start by whisking together the dry ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated. Next, whisk together the room temperature wet ingredients.
Fold the wet ingredients and dry ingredients together, then gently fold in the pecans and semi sweet chocolate chips.
Baking the muffins
Once your batter is ready, you’ll divide it evenly into greased or paper lined standard muffin tins. This recipe makes about 16 standard sized muffins.
These muffins cook for their first 5 minutes at a high temperature (425 degrees) to help them get nice volume. After 5 minutes, you’ll drop them temperature to 350 degrees for the remainder of the baking time, which is about 20 minutes.
Storing the Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
Once completely cooled, these muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also extend their shelf life a few days by storing them in the refrigerator. If you choose to freeze them, store in airtight freezer bags for up to 2 months.
Substitutions and Additions
- Omit the pecans, or try replacing them with chopped pistachios or walnuts.
- Use sour cream or full fat greek yogurt interchangeably in this recipe.
- Use 2% milk in place of full fat milk.
- If you don’t have any on hand, you can omit the instant coffee.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it!
Hungry for more delicious muffin recipes?
If you love this recipe, you’ll love these muffin recipes, too:
Brown Butter Blueberry Banana Muffins
Almond Flour Pumpkin Muffins with Pecans and Cranberries
Made this recipe? Leave a review and rating below!
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- standard muffin tin(s)
- paper muffin liners or cooking spray
- wire rack
- 1/2 cup milk (preferrably whole milk), (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola/avocado oil)
- 3/4 cup full fat greek yogurt or sour cream , (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, (at room temperature)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp instant coffee , (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated , (I prefer organic cane sugar)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 2. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or generously spray with cooking spray. This recipe makes 16 muffins, so you can also prepare 2 tins to fit all the muffins. 3. Add dry ingredients to a large bowl, and whisk until well combined. 4. Add wet ingredients to a seperate bowl, and whisk together until well incorporated. 5. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined, then gently fold in the chocolate chips and pecans. (If desired, reserve some of the chocolate chips and pecans for adding to the tops of the muffins just before baking). 6. Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperate to 350 degrees and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin is clean. 7. Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
very yummy! Can we use curd instead of Greek yogurt?
I’m not familiar with it, but I would recommend sour cream in place of the yogurt.