Bacon and Brussels Sprout Skillet
Share this recipe!
This savory and tangy Bacon and Brussels Sprout Skillet is a quick and easy side dish you can pull together in 30 minutes! Great alongside your favorite protein on a busy weeknight, or as a fun twist on Brussels sprouts on your Thanksgiving table!JUMP TO RECIPE
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.Yum
This Bacon and Brussels Sprout Skillet is one of my go-to side dishes when I’m looking for a ton of flavor without a ton of fuss. Loaded with shredded Brussels sprouts, caramelized red onions and plenty of crisp bacon- this side dish is always a hit at my dinner table.
Prepping the Brussels Sprouts
To make this Brussels sprout skillet, you’ll start by thinly slicing the Brussels sprouts and red onion. You can do this either with a mandolin, or with a very sharp knife. Either way this recipe will work out great- just go with what you’re comfortable with.
While I love the thin and uniform slices a mandolin can accomplish, I must admit- I have had a few close calls with my fingertips. For this reason- I often opt for a sharp Chef’s knife and a sturdy cutting board.
Making the skillet
To make this super easy Bacon and Brussels Sprout Skillet, you’ll start by crisping up some diced thick cut bacon in a skillet. The bacon grease left behind will serve as the fat that you’ll cook the Brussels sprouts and red onion in.
You’ll sauté the veggies in the bacon fat to soften, then add some sugar, and let them continue to cook until they begin to caramelize. Once they are soft and carmely, add some garlic, apple cider vinegar (this is KEY for the tangy flavor) and water and let it cook until the liquid is evaporated.
After that, simply stir in the crispy bacon and serve! This dish tastes great as a side for chicken, turkey or pork- and if I may be so bold, I bet it would also make a great sandwich topping.
Want to give this recipe a try?
If you make my Bacon and Brussels Sprout Skillet, please be sure to leave me a comment! I would love to hear from you, and value your feedback! Lastly, if you make the recipe and love it, please tag me on Instagram! I love to see your photos!
Looking for more great side dishes? Why not try my Stuffed Pattypan Squash with Rainbow Chard, Walnuts & Goat Cheese, Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Honey-Thyme Butter, Creamy Mushroom Orzo, or Kimchi Fried Rice with Bacon!
Bacon and Brussels Sprout Skillet
- 24 oz Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced, tough ends removed
- 1 medium red onion, Thinly sliced
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp cane sugar or granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water
- Add chopped bacon to a large, deep cast iron or non-stick skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until crisp about 8-12 minutes (time will vary depending on thickness of bacon). 2. Remove crisp bacon to paper towels to drain, and add onions and Brussels sprouts to the pan with the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. 3. Cook over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the Brussels sprouts and onions start to sweat. 4. Bring the heat up to medium-high and add 1 tbsp sugar (reserve 1 tbsp for later). Stir to combine and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until volume is reduced, and Brussels sprouts and onions are softened and slightly caramelized. 5. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 6. Add the apple cider vinegar and remaining sugar and season again with salt and pepper. 7. Add the water and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid is evaporated. 8. Add bacon and toss to coat. Serve hot.
© Jawns I Cooked. All images & content are the sole property of Jawns I Cooked. Please ask permission prior to using my photos. If you would like to share one of my recipes, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
What are you craving today?
Hi, I’m Sharon!
Welcome to Jawns I Cooked!
Here you’ll find delicious dinners, brunch, easy cocktails, great tailgate treats, and more! All of my recipes are made with accessible ingredients you can find at your local grocery store!